When I build my media lists, I always include monthly and industry magazines that are published around the clients area. Although at times it is much harder to get the attention of these highly targeted publications, I view the additional time to tailor a pitch worth it, for three reasons: 1. It allows the client to see how his/her product or service can be translated to 'fit' in front of different audiences (readership base) - giving them better appreciation for PR and messaging approach.
2. These publications often have a longer shelf life as well as 'shareabilty' due to their quality, targeted demographic and visual appeal - therefore more chances for client to be seen.
3. Because of longer lead times and editorial schedules, it's always fun to call a client after you have finished up a contract to let them know that they have yet another interview/article.
This happened most recently for a client of mine who was approached by a widely read lifestyle publication out of Georgian Bay area, four months after her initial launch took place.
Why PR people like this:
- Allowed me to deliver value to the client MONTHS after our partnership.
- Keeps my services on the radar for further engagement
- Great reminder for client to give a referal ;)